Here's the lowdown. Your website is like a lonely island in the middle of a big ocean if you don't have web traffic. Nobody knows your site exists. You may think you have the greatest website and everyone should be reading the stuff you put on it but sorry, no one visits.
The crux of the matter is that web traffic is the lifeblood of your site and online business. It's that simple. So it's high time you get your hands dirty and, if you're dead serious, start to work on it... that is generating web traffic.
Don't worry, you're not alone when facing this predicament. There are thousands of other site owners who want to see more visitors but think it's too difficult, time consuming, or expensive to generate web traffic. According to an Internet marketing survey, nearly 70% of IMers said that generating web traffic is their #1 challenge.
Now you wonder, why is generating traffic such a challenge or even a pain for so many of us?
There are many web traffic options open to you but most of them have at least one fatal flaw...
- Pay-per-click (PPC) can burn a hole in your pocket if you aren't an expert. You'll go broke within a week
- Traffic exchanges involve hours of page refreshing drudgery to earn even a sniff of visitors. You could nod off into dreamland while waiting to click and view the next site.
- SEO techniques are a moving target. If you get lucky with those rare hits, they'll change the rules again
- Safelists flood you with thousands of emails you don't need and send your emails to others who won't read them either
- How-To ebooks and guides are typically full of tactics that no longer work by the time the ebook is available
- Submitter software packages use obsolete technology that most sites are already protected against before you even submit
- Co-registration leads are watered down names that have been blasted with so many offers they just tune you out
- Purchased visitors and bulk emails are so generic, untargeted, and rehashed you're better off trying to win the lottery than expect results from them
- Social bookmarking will get you some funny videos and knowledge of what somebody did at the party last weekend, but it's not going to send hungry customers to your site.
The truth is, most web traffic tools and tactics are simply too expensive, too time consuming, or they just plain don't work. So where does all this leave the poor online business wannabe? Where does he or she turn to find online salvation?
Yes, where do you go from here?
Although there are numerous ways to promote your site, one simple technique that will bring you traffic is to do article marketing. You don't need to spend a dime, all it takes is your time and your ability to write.
Writing simple how-to articles on topics you are knowledgeable about and distributing them to article directories has been a well-tested technique that will bring you rewards in the form of quality traffic.
Keyword marketing is another technique that will take your site to the top of the search engines. It's all about using the right keywords and key phrases. Concentrate most of your efforts on Google, and when you do it right, the traffic juice will come your way. Mind you, this organic traffic will bring interested visitors and buyers.
There are many articles and blog posts that give you the lowdown on article marketing and keyword marketing. It can be a bit overwhelming for a newcomer to read up all this but remember you are not alone, for there are many other newbies who are starting to learn about article marketing.
Well, it's not exactly rocket science. You don't need advance knowledge of anything technical in order to do article marketing. If you can write, then just write - about some particular topic you know.
Later, when you have attained 'greater wisdom' about article marketing, you may want to shift gear and move to the next level. That's when you start to look around for some software product that can help you distribute your articles automatically to hundreds of article submission sites.
There are quite a number of these products in the marketplace. It's up to you to check them out and choose the one you think will do the job of automated article marketing for you.
Mark my word, some of them will make you wonder why you never thought of this before if you're serious about article marketing. It will save you time and multiply your distribution of articles to a wider circle of sites. Your articles can be turned into "viral marketing tools" that will attract a lot more traffic and establish your credibility in your niche, making you an authoritative writer.
As mentioned earlier, all other methods or techinques to boost web traffic to your site is baloney, even if they work to a certain extent. Okay, that's my humble opinion. - Markk
Image credit: Rutlo